"Winter's Light" Citrus Salad with Fennel, Candied Pecans & Spiced Citrus Vinaigrette
Guys I absolutely love this salad! It's perfect for those cold winter days when you're craving a little summer in your life. With such amazing citrus in season during this time of year, it's like this beautiful gift given that allows dishes to be incredibly vibrant and feel so warm during a time when much of the country is cloudy and freezing cold. The slight bitterness of the endive, heat in the vinaigrette, licorice flavor of the fennel, and crunch of the candied pecans all contrast and combine beautifully with the sweetness throughout the rest of the dish. Give it a try - it's quick to prepare, light and healthy and so sooooo good - and let me know how you like it in the comments section below or on my Instagram feed @codybeverstock.
Prep: 15 min
Cook: 20 min
Total: 35 min
Difficulty: Relatively Easy
FOR VINAIGRETTE (Makes about 1 cup)
1 Orange - juiced
1 T Honey
1 T Champagne Vinaigrette
1 t Salt
1/8 t Cayenne
1/2 c Canola/Olive Oil Blend
1 Egg White
3 T Sugar
1 t Cinnamon
1/8 t Cayenne
1/2 t Coriander
1/3 t Ground Ginger
2 t Salt
2 1/2 c Pecan Halves
10 Blood Orange Segments
10 Cara Cara Segments (can use naval or tangerines if you can't find cara caras)
1/2 Avocado - cut into 1/4 in. pieces
2 c Arugula
1/2 c Endive - sliced into 1/8 in. strips
1/2 c Fennel - shaved 1/8 in. thick
10 Watercress Sprigs
Salt to taste
FOR THE VINAIGRETTE:
- Combine all ingredients in bowl except oil and whisk until combined.
- Slowly add oil while whisking until the dressing has emulsified.
FOR THE PECANS:
- Preheat oven to 300 F.
- Combine all ingredients except the pecans in a bowl and whisk until just combined.
- Add pecans and thoroughly coat with spice and egg mixture.
- Place pecans on parchment-lined baking sheet (do not overcrowd) and bake at 300 F for about 20 mins, stirring halfway through. *(How to know if the nuts are done: break a couple in half and if they are golden brown on the inside, they are cooked through)
- Combine all ingredients except pecans and watercress in a bowl with a pinch of salt and drizzle of vinaigrette. Lightly toss until all are coated with vinaigrette.
- Place a handful of salad mixture on plate, then garnish with candied pecans and watercress.