Brown Sugar-Rubbed Salmon with English Pea Mash & A Clementine Chili Chutney
Prep: 10 min
Cook: 20 min
Total: 30 min
2 6 oz Salmon Fillets
2 T Brown Sugar
2 c Frozen Peas
2 T Unsalted Butter
1 1/4 t Lemon Juice
10 or so drops Green Tabasco
2 pc Bacon - sliced at bias into two pieces
2 Clementine - peeled, segmented
1/2 c Orange Juice
1/4 t Chili Flake
2 small handfuls Red & Green Lettuces (I used gem and oak, but use whatever is available to you)
Salt to taste
FOR THE CLEMENTINE CHILI CHUTNEY:
- Heat small pot over medium heat.
- Add orange juice, clementine segments, 1/4 t lemon juice and chili flake and turn heat to high.
- Reduce until thick and syrupy (roughly 10 minutes). * As the liquid begins to reduce and thicken, turn your heat back down to medium/low to keep the sugars from burning.
- Once reduced, keep warm.
FOR THE MASHED PEAS:
- Place peas and butter in a pot over medium heat and cook until peas are tender (about 3 minutes).
- Using a potato masher (or fork), mash peas until desired consistency is reached (I did a very rough mash on mine to keep a lot of the peas intact, but you could also mash and adjust to a relatively smooth consistency if desired).
- Add 1 t lemon juice, green tabasco and salt to taste.
- Keep warm.
FOR THE BACON:
- Heat a pan over medium-high heat.
- Place bacon in pan and sear on each side until crispy (roughly 3 minutes/side).
- Reserve and keep warm for garnish. (If you wanted to do the lemon garnish as well, this would be the time to do it, utilizing the bacon fat in the pan. Take 1/2 of a lemon and sear in pan until surface is glazed and golden brown).
FOR THE SALMON:
- Pre-heat oven to 450.
- Rub salmon fillets with brown sugar (make sure to press the brown sugar into the salmon to really pack it in).
- Season generously with salt.
- Bake until cooked through, but still lightly opaque on the inside (roughly 7-8 minutes).
- Place salmon just off-center on the plate.
- Place a large dollop of pea mash next to the salmon, along with a small dollop of your chutney.
- Drizzle your red and green lettuces with a little sherry vinaigrette and place bacon on top of salmon.